<body> <body>

Thursday, December 13, 2007 @12:18 AM

I feel that MANAGING EXPECTATIONS is a very important part of anyone's life. Truth be told, we all have certain expectations of the people around us, and we expect them to act/perform in a way that we envision them to be. And when they turn out different from the norm, from what we want, we come to a place of disappointment. I know I tend to go into my perfectionist mode sometimes, and that makes me put myself in a position where I set myself up to be disappointed by people. Well, does that mean that I should really lower the bar and not expect the best?

Anyway, Daddy has been in a really contemplative mode these days. With regards to the previous post, today Daddy bought Mummy a Crabtree and Evelyn Lavender Hand and Body Therapy gift set for absolutely no particular reason. FYI, my dad is one practical man who does not believe in having more than one pair of shoes for each purpose, and the only time he would go get himself replacement shoes or clothes is when those he has has undergone wear-and-tear so bad that they cannot serve their function. He is not Mr Romantic who would surprise my mum with flowers or gifts during her birthday or any occasion for that matter, preferring to opt for a simple family dinner. And no, no kisses or hugs...at least not publicly.

And so, out of the blue from the previous chocs episode, he had no qualms about spending $100++ on the below items JUST TO SURPRISE MUMMY. I just had to ask why, and Daddy said "I feel very lucky that at my age, I still have a good and secure job when many others may be retrenched...". For that moment, I was caught coz happy-go-lucky Daddy (for those who know him you will agree) has morphed into contemplative emo Daddy.

But that made me realise: if even people of his generation can learn how to present surprise gifts just for the sole purpose of making someone smile, what's more for people of my generation?

These are the sweet surprises:


*And with super duper sweet and loving parents, I really need to manage my expectations. Not everyone is able to...okay I'm speaking in parables. Nuff' said.*

& PROFILE

Zoe Gabrielle Teo

& SPEAK


& ARCHIVES

May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
January 2007
February 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010



Hide and Seek-Imogen Heap - Frou Frou