Thursday, June 12, 2008
@1:35 AM
A heart that hides your word
So that sin will not come in
A heart that's undivided
But one you rule and reign
A heart that beats compassion
That pleases you my Lord
A sweet aroma of worship
That rises to Your throne...
The past 11 days of prayer had been great. Was just worshipping God with this song today and God's presense really came in a very tangible way. I guess I'm really quite old-school. To me, the oldies never fail to bring me back to the days when I was a babe in Christ, and the countless times God broke me and brought me to my knees in worship. I remember in my uni days when I was 'appointed' to be a helper, I really knew nothing. All I had was a heart that wanted to serve God in every possible way. I remembered feeling SO stupid when I fail to do the right thing in my service, of what was expected of me; and all I did was come home like a wounded child and cry in Daddy's arms.
Childlike-ness. Somehow it seems that as people get older, more 'spiritual', more successful at what they do, smarter, more sophisticated, more in control; the more too the child in them evaporates. If we think about this in the natural, it is a but-of-course thing.
But it grieves my heart when I see people whom, because of God, have risen up in their marketplaces, been brought been hell and back, experienced the tremendous saving grace of God; are now all of a sudden too busy to pray, too occupied with being a marketplace person, too mature to serve. It burdens me that the childlike spirit has disappeared just like that and the heart of gratitude has been hardened by the cares of this world.
Self-centredness. Have been really praying against this issue alot in the past 11 days especially. The bible says that in the last days, people will become lovers of self, and this does not exclude the christians amongst us. Somehow, the more we move up the marketplace ladder, a voice inside adds confidence to us, and sometimes, we realise that hey, I can actually do this...I have what it takes! This is good,
but when one is so built up and self-contained with being master of our own lives and not relegating control to the King of Kings, one day, just one day, this mountain of success will crash. And it's terrible when that happens.
Pst Robb was just sharing with us on the 7 laws of differences from his book 'The Art of Distinction'. As he went through the several points, it dawned on me that
attaining success, or distinction, comes down to 2 very simple co-factors: people and servanthood. Many see distinction as being way up there, but Pst Robb's word made me realise that hey,
the most successful in life recognises the art of multiplying oneself by serving: you no longer just contribute to self, you pour your life into people of greater authority than you. And you do that NOT so you can get something out of it, but because of the love of Jesus overflowing from your life.
Just look at Jesus. His life epitomized very simply the meaning of
SERVING TO SUCCEED. We all say we want to BE LIKE JESUS. This is what it means.
Let's all move towards being servants with bigger hearts and greater capacities today. We're running this race together. =)